Office: 349 Gates Hall
Ithaca, NY, 14853-7501
Contact At: (my-first-name)[at]cs[dot]cornell[dot]edu
Office Hours: Tue, Thu (5:30pm-6:30pm)
- Journal paper on Understanding Intrinsic Diversity in Web Search published in ACM TOIS Journal (Oct 2014 issue).
- Paper on machine learning methods for ordinal peer-grading at scale at KDD 2014. Datasets and Code available.
- Launched web service for peer-grading at scale using machine learning techniques. Details of our method can be found in our Paper. Our toolkit can also be downloaded as a software.
- Won the Best Student Paper Award at SIGIR 2013 for work on Intrinsic Diversity in Web Search. Paper and Slides are online. A recording of a longer version of the talk (by Paul) is also online.
- Paper on online learning of socially optimal information systems at ECML 2013. Slides and Poster are online.
- Awarded Google PhD Fellowship.
- Paper on improving inference in big data pipelines at KDD 2013. Slides and Poster are online.
- Paper on stable coactive learning at ICML 2013. Slides and Poster are online.
- Machine Learning, Structured Prediction, Online Learning
- Web Search, Information Retrieval, Learning to Rank, Rank Aggregation, Recommender Systems
- Peer Grading, Big Data in Education, Machine Learning for MOOCs
- Data Mining, Big Data Analytics, Data Pipelines
- Natural Langauge Processing, Summarization, Text Classification
- I am also interested in Information Networks, Game Theory and Data Mining
- PeerGrading-Toolkit: Python-based toolkit for the peer-grading problem. We also have a web-service.
- SVM-Dyn: Python-based Structural SVM-based approach used to predict two-level dyanmic rankings.
- HotelRev-Scrape: Python module for scraping hotel reviews from popular travel websites.
- RateProf-Scrape: Python module for scraping review information from ratemyprofessor.com.
You can find a complete list of my publications along with additional resources including presentations, posters, bibtex and talk videos here.
- Understanding Intrinsic Diversity in Web Search: Improving Whole-Session Relevance
: Karthik Raman, Paul N. Bennett and Kevyn Collins-Thompson, ACM TOIS, October 2014 Issue
- Methods for Ordinal Peer Grading
: Karthik Raman and Thorsten Joachims, KDD 2014, New York, USA, August 2014
- Learning Socially Optimal Information Systems from Egoistic Users
: Karthik Raman and Thorsten Joachims, ECML 2013, Prague, Czech Republic, September 2013
- Beyond Myopic Inference in Big Data Pipelines
: Karthik Raman, Adith Swaminathan, Johannes Gehrke and Thorsten Joachims, KDD 2013, Chicago, USA, August 2013
- Toward Whole-Session Relevance: Exploring Intrinsic Diversity in Web Search
: Karthik Raman, Paul N. Bennett and Kevyn Collins-Thompson, SIGIR 2013, Dublin, Ireland, July 2013
[Best Student Paper Award]
- Stable Coactive Learning via Perturbation
: Karthik Raman, Thorsten Joachims, Pannaga Shivaswamy and Tobias Schabel, ICML 2013, Atlanta, USA, June 2013
- Learning from Our Mistakes: Towards a Correctable Learning Algorithm
: Karthik Raman, Krysta M. Svore, Ran Gilad-Bachrach and Chris Burges, CIKM 2012, Maui, USA, October 2012
- Online Learning to Diversify from Implicit Feedback
: Karthik Raman, Pannaga Shivaswamy and Thorsten Joachims, KDD 2012, Beijing, China, August 2012
- Structured Learning of Two-Level Dynamic Rankings
: Karthik Raman, Thorsten Joachims and Pannaga Shivaswamy, CIKM 2011, Glasgow, Scotland, October 2011
- Multilingual Relevance Feedback: Performance Study of Assisting Languages
: Manoj Chinnakotla, Karthik Raman and Pushpak Bhattacharyya, ACL 2010, Uppsala, Sweden, July 2010.
- Multilingual PRF: English Lends a Helping Hand
: Manoj Chinnakotla, Karthik Raman and Pushpak Bhattacharyya, SIGIR 2010, Geneva, Switzerland, July 2010
- On Improving Pseudo-Relevance Feedback using Pseudo-Irrelevant Documents
: Karthik Raman, Raghavendra Udupa, Abhijit Bhole and Pushpak Bhattacharyya, ECIR 2010, Milton Keynes, UK, March 2010
You can also find me on Google Scholar, DBLP, ArnetMiner, ResearchGate and ACM.
Professional and Teaching Experience
- TA: CS4780/5780 (Machine Learning) Fall 2011, Fall 2013
- Lectures: CS4780/5780 (Machine Learning) on 9/11/12
- PC Member: ECML 2014, SIGIR 2014, WWW 2014; IKDD2014; ECML 2013, 2014; CIKM 2013; CaRR 2013
- Reviewer: ICML 2013, 2014; CIKM 2012; SIGIR 2012; AAAI 2012; IJCNLP 2011
- Journal Reviewing: JMLR, Machine Learning
- Talks: LANL 2014, Cornell (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014), Bing 2012, KDD 2012, WSDM 2012, CIKM 2011, SIGIR 2010
- Research Intern at MSR, Redmond: May-August 2012
- Research Intern at MSR, Redmond: May-August 2011
- Research Intern at MSR,Bangalore: May-July 2009
- B.Tech at IIT Bombay (2006-2010)
- SIGIR 2013 Best Student Paper Award
- Google PhD Fellowship in Search and Information Retrieval 2013
- Yahoo Key Scientific Challenge Award 2011
- Cornell Olin Fellowship 2010-2011
- CBSE Merit Scholarship (2006)
- National Talent Search Scholarship (2004)