The crudest curriculum vitae crows and flaps its wings in a style
peculiar to the undersigner.
I doubt whether you can even give your telephone
number without giving something of yourself.
–Nabokov, Nikolai Gogol
Professor (having previously assisted and associated), Department of Computer Science and Department of Information Science.
A.B. Cornell 1993, math and computer
science; Ph.D. Harvard 1997, computer science.
Note to prospective PhD applicants, 2015-2016 application season
- Groups: my students
- Papers: includes links to associated talk
slides, data, etc.
- Other talk slides
- Interested in doing undergrad research with me? Feel free to send me an email, but please include in it an unofficial transcript. Prerequisites are some background in machine learning and to have programming experience at least at the level of CS3110.
Professional recognition and activities
- Spring 2016: CS1110, Introduction to computing using Python, with Charlie Van Loan
Both fall and spring: NLP
seminar (access via netid login for enrolled students), AI seminar
- Selected past courses:
- Machine learning and data science, co-taught with Karthik Sridharan (CS5786, S15)
- Natural language processing and social interaction (CS6742 F15 w/ Cristian Danescu-Niculescu-Mizil, F14, F13)
- Advanced language technologies (CS6740): F07 (a
generally quite strong set of
student-authored lecture guides with problems),
- Introduction to computing using Python, (CS1110, SP14), co-taught with Steve Marschner
- Computation, information,
and intelligence (CS 1700, aka 172, S07)
- Some even older courses of potential interest: Natural language processing
Statistical natural language processing: Models and methods (CS775
Contact and availability info
Actual coordinates: 419 Gates Hall, email address [click here to get it], phone 607-255-8119
Mailing address is Cornell University, Department
Science, 419 Gates Hall,
Ithaca, NY 14853
Street address is 107 Hoy Road
Administrative assistant: Megan Gatch, Gates 401, 5-3313,
To make an appointment, please start at by going to my office-hours youcanbook.me page --- read the instructions there carefully. (Yes, during the school year, I do hold regular office hours! But I'm using this appointment system rather than drop-in so that everyone gets individual time. I generally have at least two hours every "regular" week, so if you see little or no available time, that probably means other people booked the timeslots first. Have no fear, the instructions tell you what to do in that case.)
- Customized BibTeX bibliography format file for Sente (handles @inproceedings entries correctly if you define an In Proceedings format type, and other entry types): llee-BibTeX-v1.0.bibstyle (Feb 6 2012).