Some didja-knows about Cornell's CS department (CUCS) or Cornell and
- As of 2018, Microsoft Research Faculty
Fellows with Cornell connections include: four were Cornell undergrads
(Dan Klein (CS), Bobby Kleinberg, Adam Siepel, Ryan Williams), two were
Cornell postdocs (Regina Barzilay (CS), Josh Bongard, Jure Leskovec (CS)), and six are or were
CUCS faculty (Bobby Kleinberg, Rafael Pass, Ashutosh Saxena, Adam Siepel, Noah Snavely, David Steurer).
- Graduates of CUCS classes '94-'06 include faculty at Berkeley,
Harvard, MIT, Penn, and Toronto.
- Graduates of the Cornell CS class of 1993 include
three Sloan fellows, two MacArthur fellows, and a coinventor of
- Cornell's team, including CS majors, was one of the top six in the Darpa Urban Challenge. Chronicle article
- Jason Rohrer, CUCS '01 (and a TA for me in CS481), was named one of Esquire Magazine's "Best
and brightest 2008" for his work on emotional and artistic video
games, and his game "Gravitation" won the Jury Prize at IndieCade
Esquire article, New Yorker 2016 article
- As of 2019: Cornell is tied for #1, with Princeton, in number of winners of the CRA
Outstanding Undergraduate Awards. (For comparison, MIT has 3, and Stanford has 1)
- The three invited speakers for the 2009 International
Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM) all have Cornell
degrees (two bachelors degrees from CUCS and a PhD from CU TAM)
- Cornell is the only university in the US with its own
hydroelectric plant. (Cornell Alumni Magazine, March/April 2009)
- Once called "the first American university" by educational historian Frederick Rudolph, Cornell University represents a distinctive mix of eminent scholarship and democratic ideals. Adding practical subjects to the classics and admitting qualified students regardless of nationality, race, social circumstance, gender, or religion was quite a departure when Cornell was founded in 1865.
Today's Cornell reflects this heritage of egalitarian excellence. It is home to the nation's first colleges devoted to hotel administration, industrial and labor relations, and veterinary medicine. Both a private university and the land-grant institution of New York State, Cornell University is the most educationally diverse member of the Ivy League.
More on the birth
of an American university
- A Cornell ADVANCE report said that Cornell ranks third as the undergraduate
institution where women engineering faculty were trained.
- The first woman to earn a Doctorate of Science at an American
university, Caroline Baldwin Morrison, earned it in 1895 from Cornell.
- The only two women US Nobel laureates in literature, Pearl S. Buck
and Toni Morrison, got their masters degrees from Cornell.
- Awards and mentions for Ithaca
on Ithaca in the New York Times
- Ithaca was number 3 for metropolitan areas per-capita production of
Peace Corps volunteers, 2017 (press
- The Ithaca area scores high on the list for all US cities (admittedly,
somewhat loosely defined, with the Ithaca region being broken up into several entities) with residents
holding higher degrees
to Lillian Lee's home page.