The crudest curriculum vitae crows and flaps its wings in a style
peculiar to the undersigner.
I doubt whether you can even give your telephone
number without giving something of yourself.
–Nabokov, Nikolai Gogol
Professor (having previously assisted and associated), Department of Computer Science and Department of Information Science.
A.B. Cornell 1993, math and computer
science; Ph.D. Harvard 1997, computer science.
- Groups: my students
- Papers: includes links to associated talk
slides, data, etc.
- Other talk slides
- Interested in doing undergrad research? end me an email that includes a complete transcript (unofficial is fine). Prerequisites are some background in machine learning and to have programming experience at least at the level of CS3110.
Professional recognition and activities
- Both fall and spring: NLP
seminar (access via netid login for enrolled students), AI seminar
- Selected past courses:
- Natural language processing and social interaction (CS6742 F15 w/ Cristian Danescu-Niculescu-Mizil)
- Advanced language technologies (CS6740): F07 (a
generally quite strong set of
student-authored lecture guides with problems),
- Machine learning and data science w/Karthik Sridharan (CS5786, S15)
- Introduction to computing using Python, (CS1110, SP16 w/ Charlie Van Loan; SP14 w/ Steve Marschner)
- Computation, information,
and intelligence (CS 1700, aka 172, S07)
Contact and availability info
Actual coordinates: 419 Gates Hall, email address [click here to get it], phone 607-255-8119
Mailing address is Cornell University, Department
Science, 419 Gates Hall,
Ithaca, NY 14853
Street address is 107 Hoy Road
Administrative assistant: Jenna Edwards, Gates 401, 5-3313, JLS478@cornell.edu .
Go to my office-hours youcanbook.me page and read the instructions there carefully. (Yes, while classes are held, I do have regular office hours! But I'm using this appointment system rather than drop-in so that everyone gets individual time. I generally have at least two hours every "regular" week, so if you see little or no available time, that probably means other people booked the timeslots first. Have no fear, the instructions tell you what to do if there aren't available times.)
- Customized BibTeX bibliography format file for Sente (handles @inproceedings entries correctly if you define an In Proceedings format type, and other entry types): llee-BibTeX-v1.0.bibstyle (Feb 6 2012).