|Birth:||Born in Amsterdam, August 4, 1962|
|Nationality:||Dual Netherlands and USA|
|Marital Status:||Married to Lesley L. Greene|
|1985||M.Sc. from the Vrije
Universiteit in Mathematics and Computer Science, under the supervision of
Prof. Andrew S. Tanenbaum, with the honorary addendum cum laude.|
|1989||Ph.D. in Computer Science
from the Vrije Universiteit also under the supervision of Prof. Tanenbaum|
||Research Professor, Cornell University
||Technical Advisor, Midokura, Inc.
||Principal Research Scientist, Cornell University
||Technical Advisor, Greenplum, Inc.
||Consultant, Microsoft, Inc.
||Technical Advisor, FAST Search and Transfer, ASA
||Chief Scientist, Reliable Network Solutions, Inc.
||Vice-President, Reliable Network Solutions, Inc.
||Co-founded Reliable Network Solutions, Inc. with Prof. Kenneth Birman
and Werner Vogels
||Co-founded D.A.G. Labs, Norway, with Prof. Dag Johansen and Prof. Fred
Schneider, among others
||Senior Research Associate, Cornell University.
||Research Associate, Cornell University
Started the development of the Horus toolkit at Cornell
University, which was commercialized as Spinx by Stratus.
||Scientist at AT&T Bell Labs in Murray Hill, NJ.
Worked with Ken Thompson and Rob Pike on
the development of the Plan 9 operating system.
||Postdoc at Cornell University.
||Ph.D. candidate at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam - designer and the main implementor of the Amoeba Distributed Operating System. Amoeba was
commercialized by A.C.E., Amsterdam.
||Chair of Implementors Workforce of
COST11ter Distributed Systems Mgt, which provided guidelines for
standardization committees such as ISO OSI (International Standards
Organization, Open System Interconnection), and
built a prototype wide-area operating system in 1987 and 1988.
This system transparently connected sites
in England, Norway, Germany, and The Netherlands.
||Instructor UNIX OS at Geveke, Amsterdam
||Chair of ACM SIGOPS
||Associate Editor of ACM Computing Surveys
||Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed
||Student Board Member of the Dept. of Computer Science Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam
- 26th ACM Sympositum on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP 2017)
- 36th ACM Symposium on Principles of Distibuted Computing (PODC 2017)
- 14th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI 2017)
- 13th International Symposium on Autonomous Decentralized Systems (ISADS 2017)
- 1st Workshop on Security and Dependability of Critical Embedded Real-Time Systems (CERTS 2016)
- ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware conference (Middleware 2016)
- 9th ACM Systems and Storage Conference (SYSTOR 2016)
- 12th International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS 2016)
- 6th ACM Asia-Pacific Workshop on Systems (APsys 2015) (Program co-chair)
- 12th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI 2015)
- 2nd Conference on Timely Results in Operating Systems (TRIOS 2014)
- 4th Asia-Pacific Workshop on Systems (APSYS 2014)
- 7th ACM International Systems and Storage Conference (SYSTOR 2014)
- 23rd International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2014)
- The 34th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS 2014)
- 24th ACM Sympositum on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP 2013)
- 8th Workshop on Hot Topics in System Dependability (HotDep) 2013 (Program co-chair)
- Eurosys (April 2013)
- 6th Workshop on Large Scale Distributed Systems and Middleware (LADIS) 2012 (Program co-chair)
- 8th Workshop on Hot Topics in System Dependability (HotDep 2012)
- 23rd ACM Sympositum on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP 2011)
- Eurosys 2011, April 2011
- 24th International Symposium on DIStributed Computing (DISC 2010)
- International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS 2010)
- 23rd International Symposium on DIStributed Computing (DISC 2009)
- 8th Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI 2008), Program co-chair.
- GlobeCom 2007, November 2007
- Eurosys 2007, March 2007
- 7th Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), November 2006
- International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), June 2006
- 15th IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC-15), June 2006
- IEEE International Workshop on Self-Managed Systems & Services (SelfMan 2005), May 2005
- 4th International Workshop on Distributed Event-Based Systems (DEBS'05), June 2005.
- 4th International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS 2005), Feb 2005 (Program co-chair.)
- 18th International Symposium on DIStributed Computing (DISC 2004)
- Workshop on Dependable Distributed Data Management, October 2004. Part of SRDS 2004.
- 3rd International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS’04), 2004
- International Workshop on Large-Scale Group Communication, October 2003
(Program co-chair). Part of SRDS 2003
- Workshop on Adaptive Distributed Systems, October 2003. Part of DISC 2003
- International Workshop on Reliable Peer-to-Peer Distributed Systems,
October 2002 (Program co-chair). Part of SRDS 2002.
- 16th International Symposium on DIStributed Computing (DISC 2002)
- Peer-to-peer Computing Workshop, May 2002. Part of Networking 2002.
- IEEE International Conference of Distributed Computing Systems 1998-1999.
- IEEE International Conference of Distributed Computing Systems 1997.
- Middleware 98 (IFIP International Conference on Distributed Systems
Platforms and Open Distributed Processing).
- The Norwegian National Computer Science Research Foundation, 1997.
- TINA-C conference 1996 (Program co-chair)
- 14th ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing 1995.
- 5th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems, 1995.
- XIII International Conference of the Chilean Computer Science Society, Chile, 1993
- OpenForum 1992 Technical Conference.
- USENIX 1992.
- Third IEEE Conference on Computer Workstations: Accomplishments and Challenges. May 1991.
publicity chair of Workshop on the Management of Replicated Data, 1990;
sponsorship OSDI 2006;
Scholarship committee SOSP 2007;
Eurosys Roger Needham Dissertation Award 2014;
Review committee Norwegian Natioal Science Foundation;
various NSF review committees.
Former Ph.D. Students
- Stavros Nikolaou (January 2017, Google)
- Zhiyuan Teo (August 2016, Cornell Tech Runway Postdoc)
- Haoyan Geng (August 2015, Google)
- Hussam Abu-Libdeh (August 2014, Cornell Tech Runway Postdoc)
- Qi Huang (August 2014, Facebook)
- Åge Kvalnes (March 2014, Microsoft)
- Robert Surton (January 2014, Columbia Gorge Community College)
- Yee Jiun Song (January 2010, Facebook)
- Chi Ho (August 2009, Amazon)
- Maya Haridasan (August 2008, Google)
- Adrian Bozdog (August 2004, JP Morgan)
- Rimon Barr (August 2004, Credit Suisse)
- Indranil Gupta (August 2003, UIUC)
- Wei Tsang Ooi (August 2001, National University of Singapore)
- Yin Zhang (August 2001, UT Austin)
- Lidong Zhou (May 2001, Microsoft Research, Redmond)
- Lili Qiu (January 2001, UT Austin)
- Jia Wang (January 2001, AT&T Research)
- Xiaoming Liu (January 2001, Oracle)
- Zhen Xiao (January 2001, Peking University)
- Takako Hickey (August 1998, Caltech)
- Katherine Guo (May 1998, Lucent Labs)
- Alexey Vaysburd (May 1998, Millenium Partners)
- David Karr (January 1997, Titan Systems Corporation)
Cheng Li (MPI-SWS);
Nicolas Schiper (EPFL, now at Midokura);
Cyrus Hall (Lugano, 2010, now at Twitch);
M. Frans Kaashoek (Vrije Universiteit, 1991, now at MIT);
Dahlia Malkhi (Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 1994, now at Microsoft Research);
Patrick Eugster (EPFL, 2001, now at Purdue);
Feike Dillema (University of Tromsø, 2005, now at UiT).
Olivier Rutti (EPFL, 2008)