Jack's Personal Page
PhD Candidate, Cornell University
contact: "jhessel@" + ".".join(["cs", "cornell", "edu"])
CV (as of 4/2018).
I am on github here
If you're looking for me, I look something like this (facial hair subject to change):
Things I'm Doing (2/2018)
I am a fourth year PhD candidate, and I am lucky to be advised
by Lillian Lee. I
work on on projects
with David Mimno as
well. I am most interested in finding new settings to apply machine
learning in people-centered datasets, particularly to analyze content (e.g., text, images) online.
My goal in content analysis is to investigate human behavior and to create new tools.
This means that I work with text, images, social networks, and more!
I will be spending Summer 2018 with Google's natural language understanding team.
- Hessel, Jack, David Mimno, and Lillian Lee "Quantifying the Visual Concreteness of Words and Topics in Multimodal Datasets." NAACL 2018. (paper, project page)
- Hessel, Jack, Lillian Lee, and David Mimno. "Cats and Captions vs. User Characteristics and the Clock: A Time-Controlled Analysis of Multimodal Content." WWW 2017. (paper, project page, slides)
- Hessel, Jack, Chenhao Tan, and Lillian Lee. "Science, AskScience and BadScience: On the Coexistiance of Highly Related Communities." ICWSM 2016. (paper, project page, slides)
- Hessel, Jack, and Sherri Goings. "Using Reproductive Altruism to Evolve Multicellularity in Digital Organisms." Advances in Artificial Life, ECAL. Vol. 12. 2013. (link)
Workshop Papers and Other Projects
- Hessel, Jack and David Mimno. "Aligning Images and Text in a Digital Library." Extended abstract in: Computer Vision in Digital Humanities Workshop at Digital Humanities 2017. (link, backup)
- Hessel, Jack, Alexandra Schofield, Lillian Lee, David Mimno. "What do Vegans do in their Spare Time? Latent Interest Detection in Multi-Community Networks." Workshop on Networks in the Social and Information Sciences at NIPS 2015. (arXiv, project page)
- Hessel, Jack, Nicolas Saava, and Michael J. Wilber. "Image Representations and New Domains in Neural Image Captioning." 4th Vision/Language Workshop at EMNLP 2015. (arXiv, talk)
- As part of an NSF REU, I contributed to the implementation of wu-svm, a really (really) fast SVM solver in Kilian Weinberger's lab at Washington University, St. Louis. [now at Cornell!] (see Tyree, S., Gardner, J. R., Weinberger, K. Q., Agrawal, K., & Tran, J. (2014). Parallel Support Vector Machines in Practice. arXiv preprint arXiv:1404.1066.) (link)
- Undergraduate thesis project/best paper award at MICS 2014: Albright, E., Hessel, J., Hiranuma, N., Wang, C., & Goings, S. "A Comparative Analysis of Popular Phylogenetic Reconstruction Algorithms." (link)
Things I've Helped Teach
INFO/CS 4300 Language and Information, Cornell University, SP 2016
CS4786 Machine Learning for Data Science, Cornell University, SP 2015 for which I recieved an outstanding TA award!
CS4620 Introduction to Computer Graphics, Cornell University, FA 2014
- Introduction to Computer Science/Graph Theory, Carleton College, FA 2011
- Program Committees: ACL 2016, 2017, 2018; NAACL 2018; EMNLP 2017; EACL 2017; AAAI 2017; ICWSM 2018
- Workshop Program Committees: Black in AI @ NIPS 2018; Student Research Workshop @ NAACL 2018
- Two guest lectures (and one "magic" trick) for Spring 2016/2017 CS4300 about my favorite machine learning algorithm: the truncated SVD!
- Spoke at Carleton College's Networks Reading Group where I discussed the role of altruism on Kickstarter.
- Spring Cornell CS4740 Guest Lecture on Topic Models with Xanda Schofield
- Helped with Cornell's annual Expand Your Horizions conference, where some friends and I taught a class on programming (2015, 2016)
Things I've Done
I grew up in beautiful Portola Valley, California. I earned a B.A. from Carleton College in 2014, studying computer science and mathematics/statistics. During my time in Northfield, I played ice hockey, hosted a radio show, and was lucky enough to meet and work with a lot of great people. I'm a die hard San Jose Sharks fan, avid consumer (and very occasionally a producer) of electronic music, and a vegetarian (I am no longer a vegan!). I am a member of Stewart Little Coop.