- Research News
- Contact Us
- Department Life
- Oral History of Cornell CS
- Department Timeline
- Annual Reports
- Job Postings
- Ithaca Info
- Internal info
- CS Colloquium
- CU Tech Colloquium
- BOOM 2017
- SoNIC Workshop
- Conway-Walker Lecture Series
- Salton Lecture Series
- Seminars / Lectures
- Big Red Hacks
- 50th Anniversary Symposium
- Cornell University High School Programming Contest
- Game Design Initiative
- SJTU International Workshop
Computer Science (CS) Honors Program
Departmental honors in Computer Science is granted to students who have maintained a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.5 and completed a set of coherent courses and research activities that satisfy the following requirements.
The program consists of at least 9 credits beyond the minimum required for graduation, as follows:
- at least one CS course (at least 3 credit hours) at or above the 5000 level with a grade of A– or better; no seminars. Note: CS 5000-level courses that co-meet with a CS 4000-level course are not eligible for honors.
- at least two 3-credit semesters of CS 4999 (Independent Reading and Research) with a CS faculty member, with grades of A– or better each semester.
Latin Designations (appended to the degree), awarded by the field of Computer Science for all who qualify as stated above, are based on the final cumulative GPA, as follows:
- cum laude, 3.50 or above
- magna cum laude, 3.75 or above
- summa cum laude, 4.00 or above
Honors courses may not be used to satisfy the CS 4000+ level electives, the CS project requirement, the technical electives, course in the External Specialization, Major-approved elective, Advisor-approved elective (for Engineering students) or Free Electives (for Arts & Sciences students), or a student’s first vector. In essence, honors coursework represents a depth of work that is well beyond the minimum requirements needed to fulfill the Major.
Candidates are required to send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “HONORS CANDIDATE”. The deadline for receipt of messages requesting honors is October 15 for May and August candidates and March 15 for January candidates, during or prior to senior year.