- A0: out Thursday, January 22, due in class at the beginning of class of Thursday, January 29th.
- A1: out, Friday, February 13, (happy Valentine's day...), due on March 3rd, 2015 at 11:59PM EST in CMS.
Data files for assignment A1 : data file
- Updated version posted Feb 18, 7:09pm - two typo fixes.
- Updated version posted Feb 19, 12:17am - datafile clarification.
- Updated version posted Feb 26, 9:32pm - small correction to Q1.2, added simplifying assumption to Q1.3
- Updated version posted Feb 27, 6:36pm - typo fix to Q2.2 error-metric definition. If you already used the definition with the typo in your writeup, you don't have to do the problem over; just state in the your solution which version of the error metric you used.
- Helper functions in various languages for converting smiley-face data matrices into smiley-face images, for your viewing pleasure: ImagePlotHelpers.py in Python by TA Mevlana Gemici; face_plotter.r by TA Vikram Rao Sudarshan; script.m in Matlab by Professor Karthik Sridharan (script is a full PCA example)
- Example scripts for generating 2-d Gaussian data and scatterplotting 2-dimension data represented by csv files: 2d-gaussian.R, plot-2d-gaussian.gp, plot2dGaussian.py
- A2: out Tuesday, March 17, due 5PM Friday, March 27th.
- Updated version posted Thursday March 19, 7:47pm. See first page of updated pdf for description of changes (make sure the version you see has a list of changes made on Thursday March 19).
- Guest lecture availability "quiz": due April 19, 8pm.
- Competition I is on! Due April 22nd 11:59 PM.
- A3: out Friday April 24, due 11:59pm Tuesday, May 5th. We've added a day to do the bonus parts; see the link (which now goes to a wiki page instead of a pdf) to see the resultant changes.
- Competition II has begun! Due May 11th
11:59 PM. 4:30pm, as had been announced previously.
- A0: 3%.
Guest lecture "quiz": 1% (= extra credit for completion, since it was, after all, announced as mandatory).
Competitions 1 and 2: 50% altogether, competition 1 at least 25%; we'd like the two competitions to be of equal weight but if we end up having less time for competition 2 it will have less weight.
A1 karma will be factored in to final grade determination.
We tentatively plan to offer an extra-credit opportunity for A3.