Datastores today rely on distribution and
replication to achieve improved performance and fault-tolerance. But the
correctness of many applications depends on strong consistency properties --
something that can impose substantial overheads, since it requires coordinating
the behavior of multiple nodes. Homeostasis is a transaction processing system
which minimizes the amount of coordination required among the nodes of a system
without resulting in any external inconsistency. The key insight is to allow
the state of the system to be internally inconsistent during execution, as long
as this inconsistency is bounded and does not affect transaction correctness.
In contrast to previous work, our approach uses program analysis to extract
semantic information about permissible levels of inconsistency and is fully
Databases: In many applications, transactions compete for scarce
physical or virtual resources represented by data items in the database.
Quantum database defers the making of choices in transactions until an
application or user forces the choices by observation. Such latent binding
allows more transactions to succeed in environments with high contention.
· Youtopia: In this project, we are developing declarative mechanisms to support data-driven coordination. We believe that data-driven coordination is so pervasive that it deserves dedicated support through a clean, declarative abstraction. We are developing solutions to support declarative data-driven coordination (D3C) as a fundamental mode of data management.
· Sudip Roy, Lucja Kot, Nate Foster, Johannes Gehrke, Hossein Hojjat, Christoph Koch. Writes that Fall in the Forest and Make no Sound: Semantics-Based Adaptive Data Consistency
· Sudip Roy, Lucja Kot, Christoph Koch. Quantum Databases. CIDR, 2013
· Nitin Gupta, Lucja Kot, Sudip Roy, Gabriel Bender, Johannes Gehrke, Christoph Koch. Entangled queries: enabling declarative data-driven coordination. TODS, 2012
· Nitin Gupta, Milos Nikolic, Sudip Roy, Gabriel Bender, Lucja Kot, Johannes Gehrke, Christoph Koch. Entangled Transactions. PVLDB, 2011
· Nitin Gupta, Lucja Kot, Sudip Roy, Gabriel Bender, Johannes Gehrke, Christoph Koch: Entangled queries: enabling declarative data-driven coordination. SIGMOD, 2011 (Best Paper Award)
· Nitin Gupta, Lucja Kot, Sudip Roy, Gabriel Bender, Johannes Gehrke, Christoph Koch: Coordination through querying in the youtopia system. SIGMOD '11
· Lucja Kot, Nitin Gupta, Sudip Roy, Johannes Gehrke, Christoph Koch: Beyond isolation: research opportunities in declarative data-driven coordination. SIGMOD Record 39(1): 27-32 (2010).
· Mayur Bubna, Sudip Roy, Naresh Shenoy, Rajib Mall: A Layout-aware Physical Design Method for Constructing Feasible QCA Circuits. GLSVLSI, 2008
· Mayur Bubna, Subhra Mazumdar, Sudip Roy, Rajib Mall: Designing Cellular Automata Structures using Quantum-dot Cellular Automata. HiPC, 2008
· Yahoo! Graduate Teaching Award, 2013
· SIGMOD 2011 Best Paper Award
· Certificate of Achievement for outstanding contributions as a Teaching Assistant, Fall 2010
· Autodesk Fellowship, Cornell University, 2009-2010
· Awarded Best Undergraduate Thesis in Department of Computer Science, IIT Kharagpur, 2009
· Bigyan Sinha Memorial Award, 2009 (2nd in order of merit among graduating students of IIT Kharagpur)
· IIT Kharagpur Alumni (California Chapter) Award & Class of 1970 Alumni (US) Association Prize (for ranking 1st in sophomore year)
· Rajendranath Das Memorial Award for meritorious students at undergraduate level
· National Merit Scholarship (NTSE, India) 2003- 2009
· Extreme Computing Group, Microsoft Research, Redmond working with Christian Konig
· Google Fusion Tables, Structured Data Group, Google Research working with Jayant Madhavan.
Teaching Assistant for:
· CS4320/CS5320: Big Data (Fall 2012)
· CS4321/CS5321: Practicum in Database Systems (Fall 2012)
· CS4320: Introduction to Database Systems (Fall 2010)
· CS4321: Practicum in Database Systems (Fall 2010)
· Student Representative, Computing Facilities Support (CFS) Advisory Committee. 2012
· Student Representative, IT Advisory Committee for Cornell College of Engineering, 2011
· Webmaster, Cornell Engineering Research Conference, 2010
· For details on my pre-Cornell research please click here.