I'm a fourth-year Ph.D. student in the Computer Science department at Cornell University. I previously attended Brown University, where I graduated in 2013 with an Sc.B. with Honors in Computer Science. My honors thesis at Brown was advised by Roberto Tamassia and Anna Lysyanskaya.
My research interests include distributed systems, systems security, and data privacy. My advisor is Ken Birman.
I help out the CS department in various ways. Currently, I hold the appointed positions of Quotes Czar and Systems Lunch Czar. I also created the department quotes page and organize SIGSEGV, a fun non-serious conference for graduate students.
You can download my complete CV here, if you want to see the details of anything summarized on this website.
CodeMy research projects often involve creating open-source code. If you're looking for the code for a project I've worked on, you can find links to it here.
- Derecho: GitHub
- Private, Distributed Data Mining: GitHub
- Cryptographic Accumulators (my undergraduate thesis): GitHub.
I have also worked on a few side projects that involve writing code, and I try to make them open-source as well.
- Source code for the quotes page: GitHub
- My Cornell-localized fork of SignMeUp, a web app created by Brown undergraduates to help automate waiting lists for office hours: GitHub
Tremel, Edward, Ken Birman, Márk Jelasity, and Robert Kleinberg. “Anonymous Data Collection for the Smart Grid.” In 2016 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, Boston, MA, July 2016.
Birman, Ken, Márk Jelasity, Robert Kleinberg, and Edward Tremel. “Building a Secure and Privacy-Preserving Smart Grid.” SIGOPS Oper. Syst. Rev. 49, no. 1 (January 2015), 131-136. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2723872.2723891
TeachingI have been a teaching assistant for the following classes at Cornell:
- CS 4410: Operating Systems, Fall 2013, Fall 2015, Fall 2016
- CS 2110: Object-Oriented Programming and Data Structures, Spring 2014
- CS 5412: Cloud Computing, Spring 2015
Microsoft: Summer 2013. Software engineer on the Active Directory team, Redmond, WA.
Amazon: Summer 2012. Software engineer on the Fast Retail URL team, Seattle, WA.
Cisco: Summer 2011. Software engineer in the Telepresence Exchange business unit, San Jose, CA.
- Graduate with Honors, Brown University (2013)
- Member of Phi Beta Kappa, Brown University (2012)