Jornada 720: Getting Started
Installing the driver for the wireless card
In order to be able to use the wireless card with the Jornada you have
to install the manufacturer's driver. For the driver installation
Administrator rights are required. In the undergrad lab
(Upson 315) we set up one machine (the one next to the printer
cucslab1) for you to be able to install the driver. The following
instructions are written for this machine. If you want to install the
driver on some other machine you first have to install ActiveSync 3.5.
If this other machine is your personal computer you have to install
ActiveSync anyway to be able to develop programs for Jornada.
Before you install the driver make sure you have installed the
backup battery. Refer to the manual for instructions on how to
do this. If you installed the backup battery you have to install
the driver only once.
- Start ActiveSync (doubleclick on the icon on the desktop). A
window saying "Not connected" should pop up.
- Connect Jornada with the USB cable with the desktop (you have
to use the dock since there is no USB interface on the Jornada).
Make sure ActiveSync connects to the Jornada (you might have to
press on/off button few times before it works)
It may ask you if you want to set up a partnership. Answer "no",
- Start ORINOCO Setup (doubleclick on the icon on the desktop)
and click on Next button to start installation.
- A dialog box asking you to confirm the installation appeares
and you have to press button Yes.
Wait for it complete, click on OK and Finish.
- On Jornada you should see the installation process starting.
It goes away very fast so you might miss it (don't worry).
- On Jornada go to Start/Programs/Orinoco Client. The wirelless
card control application will start and display "Driver not loaded"
- From menu Tools choose "Edit Wireless Profiles"
- In the dialog box that pops up press button Edit, Next>
- Insert "rover" for the Network Name and press Next> followed
by another Next> and Finish
- Close the application by pressing button OK for the dialog
box. An error popup will appear saying you don't have the card
connected yet, click on "x" to get rid of it. Click X for the
main application as well.
- Plug in the wireless card (if is already pluged in pull it
off and plug it again). A popup asking you if you want to use
this card on battery power will pop up. Click "Yes".
- Close the dialog box titled Network Settings by pressing OK (the
option to obtain an IP address via DHCP should be highlighted).
- If you are close to an access point start Internet Explorer and
go to some webpage to check that networking works (you may need to
wait a minute or so for the device to obtain an IP address via DHCP).
- Congratulations! You now have the wireless driver installed.
Developing programs in Undergrad Lab (315 Upson)
If you plan to do all the developement in UGLab you don't have to
install any software (it is already installed for you) except the
wireless driver and the HandHeld PC 2000 environment.