New algorithms for diagnosing line failures in a smart grid.
- FLiER: Practical Topology Error Correction Using Sparse PMUs (with Colin Ponce, submitted to IEEE TPS)
Optimizing parallel code is hard -- so automate as much as possible.
- Fast Iterative Graph Computation with Block Updates (with Wenlei Xie, Guozhang Wang, Al Demers, and Johannes Gehrke, in Proceedings of VLDB, Vol 6, No 14)
- Making time-stepped applications tick in the cloud. (with Tao Zou, Guozhang Wang, Marcos Vaz Salles, Al Demers, Johannes Gehrke, and Walker White, SOCC 2011)
Moving toward pain-free fast direct sparse solvers for 3D PDEs.
Generalizing classic eigenvalue localization results (e.g. Gershgorin).
- Localization results for nonlinear eigenvalue problems (with Amanda Hood, submitted to SIMAX)
- Nonlinear Gershgorin talk at SIAM AN 13
Numerical Analysis: Linear and Nonlinear Problems (CS 4220/5223 / MATH 4260)
Spring 2015. MWF 2:30-3:20 PM, Gates Hall G01.
See enrollment notes if you were unable to enroll in fall.
Fundamentals of numerical linear algebra (linear systems, eigenvalues and SVDs), on which we’ll build iterative methods for nonlinear systems and multivariate optimization. Understanding advantages, disadvantages, and practical limits of numerical methods. Programming required.
SCAN Seminar (CS/MATH 7290)
Ongoing. M 1:25-2:15, Gates 406.
The Scientific Computing and Numerics seminar series focuses on various methods in scientific computing, the analysis of convergence properties and computational efficiency, and their adaptation to specific applications.