Fast spectral tools for graph structure.
- Xie, Bindel, Demers, and Gehrke. Edge Weighted Personalized PageRank in KDD 2015 (Best Student Paper!).
- Edge Weighted-Personalized PageRank talk at KDD 2015.
- Li, He, Bindel, and Hopcroft. Uncovering the Small Community Structure in Large Networks in WWW 2015.
Moving toward pain-free fast direct sparse solvers for 3D PDEs.
- An Efficient Solver for Sparse Linear Systems Based on Rank-Structured Cholesky Factorization with Jeff Chadwick (arXiv:1507.05593)
- Slides from a workshop at Waterloo Celebrating 40 Years of Nested Dissection (with Jeff Chadwick).
Generalizing classic eigenvalue localization results (e.g. Gershgorin).
- Bindel and Hood SIMAX 13 paper wins the 2015 SIAM LA paper prize
New algorithms for diagnosing line failures in a smart grid.
- FLiER: Practical Topology Error Correction Using Sparse PMUs (with Colin Ponce, submitted to IEEE TPS)
Applications of Parallel Computers (CS 5220)
Overview of high performance scientific computing. Basics of modern parallel machine design, parallel programming patterns, and applications. Programming projects will likely inspire creative cursing, mostly due to the frustrations of parallel profiling and debugging.
SCAN Seminar (CS/MATH 7290)
Ongoing. M 1:25-2:15, Gates 406.
The Scientific Computing and Numerics seminar series focuses on various methods in scientific computing, the analysis of convergence properties and computational efficiency, and their adaptation to specific applications.
2016-07-11: SIAM Annual Meeting (AN16)