Fast spectral tools for graph structure.
- Xie, Bindel, Demers, and Gehrke. Edge Weighted Personalized PageRank in KDD 2015 (Best Student Paper!).
- Edge Weighted-Personalized PageRank talk at KDD 2015.
- Li, He, Bindel, and Hopcroft. Uncovering the Small Community Structure in Large Networks in WWW 2015.
Moving toward pain-free fast direct sparse solvers for 3D PDEs.
- An Efficient Solver for Sparse Linear Systems Based on Rank-Structured Cholesky Factorization with Jeff Chadwick (arXiv:1507.05593)
- Slides from a workshop at Waterloo Celebrating 40 Years of Nested Dissection (with Jeff Chadwick).
Generalizing classic eigenvalue localization results (e.g. Gershgorin).
- Bindel and Hood SIMAX 13 paper wins the 2015 SIAM LA paper prize
New algorithms for diagnosing line failures in a smart grid.
- FLiER: Practical Topology Error Correction Using Sparse PMUs (with Colin Ponce, submitted to IEEE TPS)
Numerical Analysis: Linear and Nonlinear Problems (CS 4220/5223 / MATH 4260)
Spring 2016. MWF 2:30-3:20 PM, Gates Hall G01.
See enrollment notes if you were unable to enroll in fall.
I also offered the S15 version.
Fundamentals of numerical linear algebra (linear systems, eigenvalues and SVDs), on which we’ll build iterative methods for nonlinear systems and multivariate optimization. Understanding advantages, disadvantages, and practical limits of numerical methods. Programming required.
SCAN Seminar (CS/MATH 7290)
Ongoing. M 1:25-2:15, Gates 406.
The Scientific Computing and Numerics seminar series focuses on various methods in scientific computing, the analysis of convergence properties and computational efficiency, and their adaptation to specific applications.
2016-03-03: University of Arizona, Math colloquium
2016-04-11: Purdue, Numerical analysis seminar
2016-07-11: SIAM Annual Meeting (AN16)