You will do weekly one-page reading
responses, which are due on our wiki by Monday at midnight.
These responses have two components:
- One-paragraph description of one of the week's readings, that summarizes the argument made and the evidence being used in support of that argument.
- Ca. one-paragraph response to the reading.
You may choose the form of your response; some examples are:
- Discussion of an issue or problem raised by that
reading that you find interesting.
- A link to a related news article or short piece from outside of class.
- A comment on or contribution to someone else's reading response.
Reading responses are graded on a pass/fail basis. During the
course of the semester, you may skip 2 of them without penalty.
You will write two papers for this class. The first will be
10 pages, on a topic you choose related to the course content.
The second will be a long paper on a group project you develop
with teammates from the course. Each group project will
involve the design, implementation, and evaluation of some
technology as a form of critical technical practice.
Alterations to these assignments are always possible
upon approval of the instructor.
- Weekly Responses: 10%
- Short Paper: 25%
- Long Paper: 45%
- Oral presentation: 5%
- Class and on-line discussion: 15%
Grading is not just a matter of numbers, but also of
judgment. The instructor reserves the right to adjust
grades by up to half a letter grade based on knowledge
of your performance not summed up in this tidy formula.