Chief Technology Strategist
Cornell University Library
201 Olin Library
Ithaca, New York 14853
B.A., Carleton College
M.S., Cornell University
Ph.D., Cornell University
2008-present Chief Technology Strategist, Cornell University Library
2008-present Senior Research Associate, Information Science, Cornell University
2005-2008 Principal Investigator, National Science Digital Library Core Integration Project (http://nsdl.org)
2005-2008 Senior Research Associate and Director of Information Technology, Computing and Information Science, Cornell University
1992-2005 Senior Research Associate and Director of Computing Facilities, Computer Science Department, Cornell University
1987-1992 Research Associate and Director of Computing Facilities, Computer Science Department, Cornell University
1981-1987 Research Associate, Computer Science Department, Cornell University
1974-1976 Programmer/Analyst, Carleton College
2008-present Cornell Library representative, IT Managers Council
2007-2008 Member, Task Force on Personal Productivity
2007-2008 Member, ITMC Steering Committee
2005-2008 CIS representative, IT Security Council
2004-2008 CIS representative, IT Managers Council
2006 Member, Disaster Recovery Planning Task Force
2005-2006 Member, Web Accessibility Policy Editorial Committee
2004-2006 Chair, Software Acquisition Subcommittee, ITMC
2001-2006 Member, IT Policy Advisory Group
2001 Member, Network Cost Recovery Task Force
2008 Program Committee, International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications
2008 Program Committee, Workshop on Very Large Digital Libraries (VLDL 2008) in conjunction with ECDL 2008
2007 NSF Reviewer, Information and Intelligent Systems
2006 Delos Best Paper Award, European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries (co-author)
2006 Vannevar Bush Best Paper Award, Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (co-author)
1. NSDL: Creating an Extensible, Collaborative, Community-based Digital Library for STEM Education, NSF EHR Cyberinfrastructure for Education Workshop Series, Arlington, VA, (February 2008)
2. Organizing the Digital Library, Joint DELOS/NSDL Summer School on Digital Libraries, Florence, Italy, (May 2007).
3. Semantic Digital Libraries, WWW 2007, Banff, Alberta, Canada (with Sandy Payette, et al.), (May 2007).
4. NSDL 2.0: Creating a Collaborative Digital Library, Coalition for Networked Information Spring 2007 Task Force Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona, (March 2007).
5. NSDL 2.0: Building a Collaborative Digital Library, 2nd International Conference on Open Repositories, San Antonio, Texas, (January 2007).
6. Building Collaborative Tools on the NSDL Data Repository, NSDL 2007 Annual Meeting, AAAS, Washington, DC, (October 2006).
7. Building a National Science Digital Library on Fedora, Fedora Users Conference 2006, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA (June 2006).
8. The Technical Infrastructure of the NSDL, EUNIS-CZ Seminar on Digital Libraries, Špindlerův Mlýn, Czech Republic (May 2006)
9. Building a National Science Digital Library, Educause Live! Webcast (May 2006)
10. Technical Vision for the NSDL, House STEM Caucus Luncheon, Rayburn House Office Building, Washington, DC (September 2005)
1. NCore: Architecture and Implementation of a Flexible, Collaborative Digital Library. In Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, (Pittsburgh, PA, 2008), ACM.(with Aaron Birkland and Ellen J. Cramer) http://arxiv.org/abs/0803.1500
2. The NCore Platform: An Open-Source Suite of Tools and Services for Implementing Digital Libraries. In OR2008, Third International Conference on Open Repositories (Southampton, England, 2008). http://pubs.or08.ecs.soton.ac.uk/11/
3. NSDL MatDL: Adding Context to Bridge Materials e-Research and e-Education. In ECDL 2007, (Budapest, Hungary, 2007), Springer, 499-500. (with Laura Bartolo, et al.) http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-74851-9_51
4. Representing Contextualized Information in the NSDL. In ECDL2006, (Alicante, Spain, 2006), Springer. (With Carl Lagoze, et al.) http://arxiv.org/abs/cs.DL/0603024
5. Metadata aggregation and “automated digital libraries”: A retrospective on the NSDL experience. In Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, (Chapel Hill, NC, 2006), ACM. (with Carl Lagoze, et al.) http://arxiv.org/abs/cs.DL/0601125
6. What is a digital library anymore, anyway?: beyond search and access in the NSDL. D-Lib Magazine, 11 (11), November 2005. (with C. Lagoze, S. Payette and S. Jesuroga) http://www.dlib.org/dlib/november05/lagoze/11lagoze.html
7. An Information Network Overlay Architecture for the NSDL (poster), presented at JCDL 2005, Denver, CO, June 2005. (with C. Lagoze, et al.)
8. Core Services in the Architecture of the National Digital Library for Science Education (NSDL). In Proceedings of the Second ACM/IEEE–CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (July, 2002). (With C. Lagoze, et al.) http://arxiv.org/abs/cs.DL/0201025
9. A Spectrum of Interoperability: The Site for Science Prototype for the NSDL, D-Lib Magazine, 8(1), January 2002. (With W. Y. Arms, et al.) http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january02/arms/01arms.html
10. Dienst: Implementation Reference Manual. (with J. Davis, C. Lagoze, and E. Shaw). Cornell University Computer Science Department Technical Report, TR95-1514, May 1995.
11. Dienst: Building a Production Technical Report Server (with J. Davis and C. Lagoze). Proceedings of Advances in Digital Libraries, pp. 211-223, May 1995.
12. A Case Study of Flexible Object Manipulation (with J. Hopcroft and J. Kearney). International Journal of Robotics Research, 10:1, pp. 41-50, 1991.
13. Toward Better Computer Science (with J. Hopcroft), IEEE Spectrum, 24:12, pp. 58-60, December 1987.
14. The Challenge of Robotics for Computer Science (with J. Hopcroft), pp. 7-42, in Advances in Robotics, Vol. 1: Algorithmic and Geometric Aspects of Robotics, ed. J. Schwartz and C. Yap, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., 1986.
11/1/07-10/31/09 Principal Investigator, Moore Foundation/Fedora Commons, Fedora Commons Durable Platform for Collections, Collaboration, and Publications, $1,174,128
10/1/07-9/30/08 Principal Investigator, NSF DUE/UCAR, NSDL Core Integration - Increasing Capacity and Engagement, $1,133,467
9/1/07-8/30/10 Principal Investigator, NSF DRL/Ohio State, Beyond Penguins and Polar Bears: Integrating Literacy and IPY in the K-5 Classroom, $403,152
1/1/03-12/31/07 Principal Investigator, NSF DUE, Collaborative Project: Core Integration - Leading NSDL Toward Long-Term Success, $8,845,453
9/15/01-9/15/03 Co-Principal Investigator, NSF DUE, Collaborative Project: Core Integration of the National SMETE Digital Library, $1,637,500
9/15/00-9/15/01 Co-Principal Investigator, NSF DUE, The NSDL Central System, $799,085
9/1/96-8/31/99 Principal Investigator, DARPA/Stanford, Collaboration on Distributed Document Storage and Search, $468,240
8/1/96-12/31/99 Principal Investigator, DARPA/CNRI, Networked CS Technical Report Library: A Community Resource & Laboratory, $900,000
2/1/93-6/30/96 Principal Investigator, DARPA/CNRI, Electronic Technical Report Library Project, $1,358,751