CS4621 FP: Final Project
Out: Monday November 2, 2015
Proposal Due: November 11, 2015 at 11:59pm
Due: December 11, 2015 at 11:30am
Work in groups of 2
Write a 2 page (at most 3 page ∼ 500 words) document about your proposed final project. The format of the description should be:
- The project goal: One sentence summary of the project
- Description of the project. You can include hand-drawn sketches, story boards, screen-shot mockups, or whatever visual aid you can use, over and above text describing the project.
- Description of the technical components. Your project could include rendering, modeling, image-based techniques, and animation. You need to focus on at least 1 major area and 1 minor areas.
Just re-implementing something you did for the PAs or PPAs is not enough. You should go beyond what you have done in the required assignments.
Do some research to figure out exactly which techniques you plan to implement. It is okay to use third party libraries for non-graphical tasks like physics.
Remember to cite every source of information, code, models, shaders, etc. that you use or plan to use.
- A tentative schedule and proposed timeline, with a split between the partners. You should have done some research so that you can make a realistic assessment. This has to be a joint project so make sure that both partners are on board and involved.
Please turn in a 3-5 page summary of your project status. Don't repeat what you put in the proposal. Instead focus on explaining what you did achieve, how you implemented it, what took up your time. Explain what you implemented, rather than just pointing to some paper/GPU Gem reference. This is important for us to understand exactly what you did, how close you stuck to what you implemented, how much do you understand of what you did.
Explain why what you achieved is *different* from what you proposed if need be. It is ok to say you ran out of time on some parts (but hopefully that won't be true of everything).
The project report is due on Friday morning at 11:30 am (with a draft version expected before 11pm on Thurday).
Your report should explain:
- Goal: 1 sentence
- What did you achieve (high level description)
- What you got off the web or from other sources
- What did you implement and have working. First, give an itemized list of
everything you have implemented (at most 1 sentence per item). Then, for each of the
items in the list above, write a short paragraph describing the technical
details of what you did. This means:
- if you invented the algorithm, describe it,
- if you got it from GPU Gems or from the web, mention which chapter, give us the URL, and describe what you did of it. What did you have to do to make it work.
- What you did not implement because (a) you ran out of time, (b) it was too hard, (c) you tried it, but it just didn't work, so you abandoned it. Tell us what these are, and what was the reason it didn't make it.
- What you learned
- What was the best thing(s) you learned?
- What were the gotchas?
- Effort. About how much time do you think you worked on this project, and if you can guess, give a breakdown of the time spent on each major component. Do you and your partner want to be given the same grade?
The above should take 3-5 pages. Then you can add 1 or 2 pages of screen shots from your project showing off key effects, techniques, etc.