CS 4410 covers systems programming and introductory operating system design and implementation. We will cover the basics of operating systems, namely structure, concurrency, scheduling, synchronization, memory management, filesystems, security and networking.
Prerequisites: CS 4410 is open to any undergraduate who has mastered the material in CS3410/ECE3140. Students enrolled in 4410 can also choose to take CS 4411 and complete the practicum project.
Lectures take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays 2:55-4:10 in G01 Uris Hall
- 99% of all matters can be handled on Piazza:
- 4410 Piazza
- 4411 Piazza
- Private messages on Piazza should be visible to all instructors and staff. Do not create private piazza messages visible by only a subset of the course staff.
- Do not contact course staff members via their email addresses, facebook, texting, etc.
- For serious matters that must be handled exclusively by the instructors, please email cs4410-prof or -- when possible -- come to instructor office hours. Do not email course instructors via their email addresses.
- Bring your student ID to all of your exams. We will be taking attendance by having you swipe it through a card reader upon arrival.
- The final exam will be on Thu, Dec 7 @ 9:00 AM, location TBD.
- Prelims are on 10/5 and 11/21. Alternate prelim times are at 5:15pm on the same day. You do not need to email us to take the alternate exam time. However, you may not leave the alternate exam early for any reason.
- The prelim dates are right before Fall Break and Thanksgiving Break. We will not offer alternate exam dates unless you have 3 exams in a 24 hour period. We will, however, drop the lowest of your 3 exam scores. If you cannot attend an exam for any reason, this is the score we will drop.
- If you require exam accommodations, please contact Jenna Edwards (jls478 in 401 Gates Hall). Be sure to tell her which course you are enrolled in and attach the necessary documentation of the accommodation. We are happy to meet the needs of our students in this matter.