CS4321/CS5321: Practicum in Database Systems (Fall 2012)
· Class: Wednesdays 3:35-4:25pm; HLS B14
· Instructor: Johannes Gehrke
o Office hours: Fridays, 1:15pm to 2:15pm Upson 4105B or by appointment.
· TAs: Gabriel Bender, Daniel Murphy, Sudip Roy, Guozhang Wang
· Office hours (Upson 328B, Bay D). Office hours will start the week of September 3.
o Wednesdays 9:00am-10:00am
o Thursdays 11:00am-noon
· Course Management System. The assignments and grades will be available via CMS.
· We are using Piazza for discussions associated with the course.
· (August 29) Further news will be in CMS.
· (August 29) All students from both CS4321 and CS5321 have been added to the CS4321 course instance on CMS. Even though you might be enrolled in CS5321, the "correct" CMS course instance for you is the CS4321 instance; both CS4321 and CS5321 are sharing the same assignments, and thus instead of replicating the course contents into two separate instances of the course on CMS, there will just be a single instance for all students. If you are planning to take this course and you do not have access to the CS4321 CMS instance at this time, send email to the instructor as soon as possible.
CS4321/CS5321 is the practicum associated with CS4320/CS5320. You will build major components of a “realistic” database system. Solid C++ programming skills are required. CS4321 has a lecture/discussion once every week where you can ask questions about the homework assignments. CS4321/CS5321 does not have any exams. Your grade solely depends on five assignments. See the CMS for assignments, their deadlines, and grades. There is no assigned textbook, but concurrent enrollment in CS4320/CS5320 is required; the concepts that you will implement in this course are taught in that class.