Every once in a while, we will have a quiz in lecture. We will tell you
what will be on the quiz. We expect everyone to get 100 on every quiz.
Reason for quizzes.
A course like CS1110 uses a lot of terminology and introduces many new
concepts. Typically, the terminology and concepts are used from the day
they are introduced onward. If you don't learn them soon after they are
introduced, you can't understand later lectures and material. So, each
quiz alerts you to what is important for you to learn at that time (and
forces you, hopefully, to learn it). We hope that you don't only superficially
learn it but grok it. (If you don't know
what grok means, bring up ProgramLive (the CD), open the glossary, and
look at the entry for grok.
- Quiz 00. On the CMS. Submit on the CMS by January 31. Its purpose is to ensure that you know about the exams in the course, iclickers, and academic integrity.
- Quiz 01. In class, Tuesday, 1 February.. You need to know
(1) Definition of "type" (see p. 7 of text) , (2) how to
execute the assignment statement (p. 28, box on top of page).
- Quiz 02. In class, Tuesday, 8 February. What is the purpose of a constructor (see page 111 of text or slide 6 of the lecture notes for 3 Feb.)? How do you evaluate a new expression (see box on top of page 116 or side 8 of the lecture notes for 3 Feb)?
- Quiz 03. In class, Thursday, 31 March. Memorize the four loopy questions and be able to tell whether a loop (with precondition, postcondition and invariant) satisfies the questions or not. Reason for quiz: We are using invariants and the loopy questions to describe or develop many algorithms in the coming weeks. If you do not understand the basics, you won't understand the algorithms.