CS 1110 Introduction to Computing using Java Grade: letter or S/U Fall 2008
8546 TR 09:05 Hollister B14 Instructor: David Gries 4 credits
8548 TR 11:15 Hollister B14 Newsgroup:

FAQ: Frequently asked questions
About email
Academic Excellence Workshops
Academic integrity
Staff info
Course material
Times & places
Email Gries
WHAT ...
What if I have an exam conflict or special requirement? Contact Maria Witlox two weeks in advance.
WHO ...
Who is my section instructor? See the staff page.
WHY ...
Why do we use Java? See Some Questions and Answers about using Java in Computer Science Curricula by Doug Lea.
Will I be prepared for CS2110?

Definitely. If you take CS1112 or CS1114 instead of CS1110, you have to take CS1130 before taking CS2110.

What's this CS1130/CS1132 stuff?

CS1130 is a "transition to Java" course, which teaches OO concepts to those who know another language. CS1132 is a "computing in Matlab" course, which teaches Matlab to those who know another language. Both are self-paced, 1-credit, S/U courses.

Beginning fall 2007, entering engineering students must take either of these sequences: CS1110 – CS1132 or CS1112 – CS1130.

Why do we use DrJava?

1. It is relatively simple and is object-oriented.
2. It is free.
3. Its "Interactions pane" lets us demonstrate Java concepts and lets you practice with Java in a way that other IDEs don't.

Why do the assignments look like that? See the article Building Freshman Intuition for Computational Science and Mathematics by C. Van Loan.
Why should I retrieve and save my graded work? First, feedback on graded work is important for you; it helps you determine what you know and what you need to work on more. Second, you need to check for accuracy in grading and summing of points in case you need to submit a regrade. Third, in case of a lost grade (it happens from time to time), we will need proof that you completed the assignment. Fourth, you should use previous work to study for exams and to learn about mistakes to avoid in the future.
Where are the computer labs? Look at CIT's Public Labs Schedule.
Where are the sections or recitations? All sections/recitations are held in the ACCEL Lab. You get to it through the Engineering Library in Carpenter Hall. For sections/recitations, do NOT go to the rooms listed in the course roster.
Where's your office? Look at the staff page.
Where's the CS Undergraduate office? The CS Undergraduate office is in 303 Upson Hall. Also, see the staff page.
Where are the solutions? When we post solutions, they will be posted on the same page as Assignments, and Exams.
Where are the handouts? Most lecture handouts can be obtained from the Lecture summary page. For assignments, solutions and other things, look at Assignments, and Exams.
Where is my graded homework/prelim? For assignments submitted online, on the CMS for the course, you will receive feedback on the CMS itself. All other graded material is returned in labs, with unclaimed material being given to the consultants in the Accel lab. Bring your ID!
Where do I request a regrade? For assignments submitted online on the course CMS, submit the regrade request on the CMS. For everything else, go to theconsultants in the ACCEL Lab within one week after we return your work and fill out a regrade request. You may hand also hand it directly to Gries or a TA.
Where is almost everything located? In the filing cabinet, with the consultants, in the ACCEL lab or on this website or the CMS.
Where can I find more practice problems? Refer to the exercises in your textbook. You can also find many problems in archived course websites from the CS Home Page. Also, look in the Carpenter library for other programming textbooks. You might even consider trying a Schaum's Outline on C or C++ for many worked-out problems: try programming the same problems in Java!
MAY ...
May I use the first edition of ProgramLive? No. It is way out of date. At the bookstore, buy the book for the course, which is a combination of a paper text and A CD.
May I change my partner? You may have different partners for different projects, but you may not have more than one partner for any assignment. Please review the assignments page.
May I use something other than DrJava?
May I program in a different language?
You may not use another language. You may use something other than DrJava, but then you are on your own: We provide support only for DrJava.
HOW ...
How should I submit my homework? Follow the submission guidelines on the assignments pages.
How do I use DrJava? Look at our DrJava page.
How do I access the newsgroups? We'll get to this later.
How do I print in a public lab?
How do I use Net-Print?
Review this page about Net-Print from CIT.
How do I start an assignment? Read the assignment a few times. Don't expect to absorb it all at once. While reading the assignment, look for clues on what you need to do. When you've figured out the larger tasks, break those large problems into smaller and smaller tasks. Eventually, you can program those smaller tasks!
How do I catch up? I'm lost. Seek help from the CS1110 Staff immediately. We can help you figure out what you need to do.
How do I become a consultant? Take CS2110, do well, and talk to Laurie Buck; she is in CS Undergrad Office, Upson 303.