|Awards and Special
This was the year of teaching awards for the Department of
Computer Science. We are very proud of all of our faculty and student awards.
- David Gries - 1995 ACM Karl
V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award.
- "In recognition of leadership in the training of
several generations of computer scientists," this award is given annually
by the international Association for Computing Machinery.
Huttenlocher - Weiss Presidential Fellow, Cornell University.
- "For effective, inspiring, and distinguished teaching
of undergraduate students." Huttenlocher will carry this designation
for the remainder of his Cornell career. This is the highest award for
teaching given by the University. (The CS department is the only department
on campus to have two Weiss fellows; there are 12 Weiss Fellows on campus.)
Smith - Stephen & Margery Russell Distinguished Teaching Award.
- This is the highest award for teaching in Cornell's College
of Arts & Sciences.
Gries - Honorary degree from Daniel Webster College.
- "For the positive influences his philosophy of teaching
has had upon the faculty there."
Hartmanis - Honorary Degree. Dr. h.c., the University of Dortmund,
Schneider - Professor-at-Large, University of Tromsø. Tromsø,
Cardie - College of Engineering Teaching Award.
Rubinfeld - College of Engineering Teaching Award.
Teitelbaum - College of Engineering Teaching Award.
von Eicken - College of Engineering Teaching Award.
Gries - ACSU Faculty of the Year Award.
- The Association of Computer Science Undergraduates presents
an annual Faculty of the Year Award at a special spring student/faculty
- Claire Cardie - NSF Career Award.
- The Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program
grants, awarded by the NSF to junior-level university faculty, emphasize
the importance the Foundation places on integrating research and education
activities in academic careers.
- Claire Cardie - Lilly Teaching Fellowship.
- These fellowships offer untenured faculty encouragement
and incentives "to think creatively about the aims and methods of
teaching" in the undergraduate curriculum prior to tenure review.
Since 1974 the Lilly Endowment has sponsored three-year Teaching Fellow
Programs at more than 30 major research institutions.
- Juris Hartmanis - Bolzano Gold Medal of the Academy of
Sciences, Czech Republic, 1995.
- Ronitt Rubinfeld - Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Research
- These two-year, unrestricted research fellowships are
given to stimulate fundamental research by young scholars of outstanding
promise. Nationwide, ten fellowships are given annually in the field of
Vavasis - 1996 Guggenheim Fellowship.
- Guggenheim Fellows include artists, scholars, and scientists
chosen annually from both academic and non-academic institutions. Recipients
are appointed on the basis of unusually distinguished achievement in the
past and exceptional promise for future accomplishment.
Awards to Students
- Mike Arcuri - Merrill Presidential Scholar, Cornell University.
- This award was given to 35 members of the Cornell graduating
- Tobin Driscoll - NSF Postdoctoral Fellowhip.
- Fatemeh Nazgol Moussavi - Jonathan E. Marx Senior Prize.
- Wren Tarkington McMains - Jonathan E. Marx Senior Prize.
- Kim-Chuan Toh - Second Prize, Fox Prize in Numerical
- Nikola Valerjev - Alan S. Marx Senior Education Prize.
Focus on Education
Annual Report Home Page
If you have questions or comments please contact: email@example.com.